the Bachlers

the Bachlers
December 2008

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Missionary Training Center

On April 22, I was at the MTC with my brother and his family. They were delivering their first missionary, Kevin. I could have gone "home" for his "farewell", but I knew there would be a lot of family and friends there to support Kevin and his family on this new adventure. So I opted to go be with them at the MTC, or as a family friend refers to it as the "Mother Torture Center".

Delivering a missionary to the MTC is a huge emotional experience. Huge in that the heart takes on many emotions. There are tears of joy, pride, sorrow, separation anxiety and all other feelings in between. We discussed a lot of these feelings during the two days prior to Kevin crossing the threshold of the MTC.

Almost every Wednesday of the year, hundreds of families send their missionaries into the MTC, and 99.9% of them are crying when they leave their missionary behind. Why does the family cry? This is what they have prayed for during the last nineteen years (for the boys.) Now that the time has come, they don't want to let go. Why??? There is joy that their son/daughter has made the decision to serve our Heavenly Father as a missionary. We know that this missionary will return a changed person. Usually for the better in all facets of life. So why is it so hard to let go? Probably because there is limited communication during this time.

Well, there was one added emotion for my brother and I (yes, I know his wife and daughter also had the following thoughts on their mind.) Our mother died 30 years ago, and April 22 is her birthday. Our father died five and a half years ago. My brother and Kevin were both very close to him. My dad was able to see me off at the MTC and I know I was surprised to see his tears when I left. Today, I know he was all grins with my mom. I also know that my parents were present with us. Sitting there during the meeting, I reflected on my time at the MTC and how I had felt my mother's spirit close to me. Now, I know Kevin will experience a similar feeling with his grandfather, my dad.

The MTC is a hollowed place. There is a spiritual battle being fought there 24/7. I haven't felt that peaceful and closeness to my Heavenly Father in a long time. I wanted to stay there longer, but they do "push" you out quickly.

So my reason for going to the MTC was to support my brother and his family. I think I received much more support from them, and had more of a spiritual experience than I had anticipated. I shed a few tears during the meeting, but alone in my car I was overcome by the experience and grateful for it.

Here are a few pics of the entry and farewell:


Here is Judy putting on Kevin's missionary name tag. I'm disappointed you can't see the orange "dork" dot.



Although they look all smiles, Judy is crying.



And here is the big bear hug from father to son.

5 comments:

Mandi Brown said...

man I don't know if I like the MTC, there are so many memories of sadness there, jk, but still it is sad.

Kristi said...

Love the post and love the picts. You captured some great moments!

Kristi said...

I love those moments of spiritual reprieve, bliss, and reflection - we all experience them most everyday but when you are in the comfort of our Heavenly father's work or home the small glimpses of eternity are enough to push us through.

Kelly said...

Wonderfully captured! Thanks for sharing your feelings and experience...very tender. And might I add...what a handsome missionary! How great you were able to go.

jennsekona said...

I really enjoyed your post. I'm really glad you and Aly got to come up and play for a few days with us, even though it was crazy hectic and full of scatterbrainedness! Love you!